Monday, February 3, 2014

McLuhan picture

I think that this picture does a good job illustrating the attitudes people have towards one another and technology in present day society. You can see several friends "hanging out" with each other but nobody is actually engaging in conversation. They are simply sitting together while they are glued to their phone. This portrays the idea that technology has become an extension of ourselves and that even when we are with our closest friends, we care more about whats going on everywhere else. Another aspect of this photo that reminds me of McLuhan is the fact that nobody is enjoying themselves. Technology is supposed to entertain and engage people in ways that have never been possible in the past but as you can see they look indifferent and bored-as if nothing is keeping their attention.




I thought that this photo was another great illustration of some of McLuhan's ideas. Branching off the previous photo, this girl is absolutely surrounded by technology. She has a laptop, Ipad, cell phone, Ipod and television all on around her but she's sleeping. This is an exaggerated illustration of technology acting as extensions of ourselves yet, it still isn't enough to hold her attention. Even though the photo is exaggerated, I don't think it's very far from the truth. I find my self surrounded by technology, in constant contact with everyone I know yet I still felt alone. I find it ironic that when technology is supposed to bring people together, it is actually pushing them further and further apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment