Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Breaking Bad Critique by Michelle Falese


     The series finale of Breaking Bad, “Felina” may have given closure to some, and pissed off others to the point where they were wondering why they gave their attention to it for five seasons. Were most of the loose ends tied up? I personally think so. However, my biggest thought was why Walter White aka “Heisenberg” (his villain name) was able to control everyone around him up until his last and final seconds before he died. After being our favorite villain for so long, were we hoping he’d “get his” or were we hoping he’d come out on top like he had for the majority of the series? I still don’t think I can answer that question honestly. Part of me is quietly cheering for him deep down that he got to basically say f*** you to all of the people who took advantage of him in the past, including Elliot Schwartz. The other part of me is angry that overall, the high school chemistry teacher-turned-devil got to decide everyone’s fate. After all of his selfish actions and heartless decisions, it doesn’t seem like karma really set in and saved the day. Yes, he died. However, I think he was ready to die. He controlled his world for so long, made an outrageous amount of money, rebelled, and most of all- got to feel alive, which is what he had been waiting for since Elliot stole his success many years ago. Some might think it was noble of him to give Jesse the “permission” to kill him, while pretty much inferring “it’s the least I could do.” But let’s be honest- the only noble thing Walter White did in the end was go back to set Jesse free. Now, back to him giving Jesse the option to kill him…this could be a huge reason why Jesse walked away. After arranging for him to be killed by the Nazi brothers and dragging him down with him for so long after he was willing, Jesse probably wanted to kill Walt with his bare hands. But Jesse’s heart exceeded the size of Walter’s heart and brain combined. I think he walked away because he was tired. He wanted nothing to do with the disaster ever again.
            In terms of Walt’s growth throughout the series, I think his love for himself only grew. Of course he loved and cared about his family (even though it was blatantly his own fault that his brother-in-law Hank was shot and killed in the middle of the desert), but when it came down to it, it was very clear that his ego and coming out on top of the world took first priority. This was kind of disappointing. Part of me was hoping for his family to stay together and get through it, but that would just be completely unrealistic considering the nationwide manhunt that was currently taking place to find Walt. What kept him going and kept him pushing himself and everyone else to their limits apparently started out for his family, as he continually told Skyler, “I’m doing this for our family!” however, that was more or less what he was telling himself to justify his inhumane behavior for so long. Skyler was still battling with wanting to believe that Walt had a good heart, which brings me back to season 4, episode 6 when she’s trying to convince him to go to the police and fix everything, but his response is not what she was expecting when he says, “I am the danger. A guy opens his door and gets shot and you think that of me? No…I am the one who knocks!” I think this is the turning point when reality hit Skyler and convinced her that she married a monster. However, even still after that, he continually said it was for the family.  Thankfully in “Felina,” which I think we were all hoping for, he finally admitted to Skyler, “I did it for me. I liked it.” Boom. In that moment, I think all of us Breaking Bad worshippers sat there stunned. His true colors finally became clear to all of us who had been wondering what his intentions really were deep down. His true identity was not Walter White. He was Heisenberg all along.

I chose to write in the style the third critic I reviewed from the Huffington Post: Maureen Ryan. 712 Words.

No comments:

Post a Comment